About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Finally A Successful Vegan Burger!!

 Ever since someone in our family stopped eating meat in 1993 I have searched for a good burger that I could make.  Now we have it!

I will be checking all our devices to find where I located the recipe so I can give credit where it is due.  The only name I have is "Florentina".  I printed out her recipe then made changes that worked for us.  This is the recipe as I made it:

Vegan Burger Patties

2 cups cooked brown rice
2 cups soy curls
2 cups hot water
4 Tablespoons tapioca flour
2 teaspoons granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
1 Tablespoon nutritional yeast
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup Panko crumbs
4 Tablespoons vital wheat gluten flour

In a mixing bowl combine the soy curls with the hot water and let sit for 10 more minutes.  Drain the soy curls and push out any excess water with a spoon.  Put the soy curls in a food processor and zap a few time to make the texture more like rice (this is what I will do next time.  This time I just put everything in at once).

Add the cooked rice and all other ingredients to your food processor bowl and pulse a few times then let it rip until you get a texture you like. I let it go until it was fairly smooth.

For our burgers, I set the oven going to preheat to 375 degrees and prepared a half sheet pan with crumpled up parchment paper that I smoothed out flattish.

Using a 1/2 cup portion scoop/ice cream scoop, I portioned out into 9 lumps on the sheet pan then dampening my fingers I pressed down to about 1/2 inch thick and made them sort of round.  I let them cook for 30 minutes.

After cooking them for 30 minutes, I pulled them out of the oven, flipped them, put them back in the oven, SHUT OFF the oven, and set timer for another 30 minutes when I pulled them out.  



They were great!  They were crispy but not hard.  They tasted good as they were.  Dear One said, "These are pretty good!"  I was so thrilled.  He ate two then and today he was hungry and pulled one out of the refrigerator, heated it in the air fryer, and ate it on Ezekiel 4:9 bread toast, happy as a clam!

In the original recipe it says you can put the uncooked patties in the freezer with parchment paper between them.  I am thinking of making (A LOT!) more and freezing them so we can just pull them out whenever we want them.  This will necessitating eating up a bunch more food first, but we can do it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: