Homemade MustardSomething I added that was not here at all was 2 Tablespoons of honey, so this made a very spicy honey mustard. Number 4 son seemed to like it.
Yield 1 cup (250g)
- 1/3 cup (55g) mustard seeds (I used a combination of brown and white mustard seeds, more brown than white. It made all the difference!)
- 1/3 cup (80ml) white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) dry white wine (or water) (I used water.)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- big pinch of cayenne
- 2-4 tablespoons warm water, if necessary
- optional: 1-3 teaspoons prepared horseradish, to taste (I don't think I used the horseradish this time...OK, you are right, I am forgetful. I made this last week and should remember...)
1. Combine all the ingredients, except the horseradish, in a stainless-steel bowl. Cover, and let stand for 2-3 days.
2. Put the ingredients in a blender and whiz until as smooth as possible. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of water if the mustard is too thick. Blend in the horseradish, if using.
Storage: The mustard will keep for up to 6 months refrigerated, although it’s best if used within one month.