About The Country Wife Blog

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Food Today: Homemade Honey Mustard

While on vacation I saw a Food Network show which off-handedly mentioned that mustard was easy to make and could be tailored to your own tastes.  When I got home I watched half a dozen different YouTube channels on making mustard at home, then put "Homemade Mustard" in Google search.  Below is the recipe that I used with minor changes.  It is found at David Lebovitz's website.

Homemade Mustard
Yield 1 cup (250g)
  • 1/3 cup (55g) mustard seeds (I used a combination of brown and white mustard seeds, more brown than white.  It made all the difference!)
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) white wine vinegar
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) dry white wine (or water)  (I used water.)
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • big pinch of cayenne
  • 2-4 tablespoons warm water, if necessary
  • optional: 1-3 teaspoons prepared horseradish, to taste  (I don't think I used the horseradish this time...OK, you are right, I am forgetful. I made this last week and should remember...)
Something I added that was not here at all was 2 Tablespoons of honey, so this made a very spicy honey mustard.  Number 4 son seemed to like it.
1. Combine all the ingredients, except the horseradish, in a stainless-steel bowl. Cover, and let stand for 2-3 days.
2. Put the ingredients in a blender and whiz until as smooth as possible. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of water if the mustard is too thick. Blend in the horseradish, if using.
Storage: The mustard will keep for up to 6 months refrigerated, although it’s best if used within one month.


This is how the mustard looks...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: