Like so many of the "great ideas" that I have, this one turned out to be another failure. The dryer balls from this sweater did not stay as balls. When I was felting them they had dog ears and tails hanging off. And that was just the problem with the balls themselves. The main problem was that the dryer balls annoyed the other people drying clothes in our dryer. Oh well. Chalk it up to another idea which does not go over well with the rest of the family.
With no sleeves but a beautiful sweater body, I thought I could turn it into a vest with a little ribbing on the armholes.
|The armhole with no ribbing in place|
It was pretty easy to do. The worst part was trying to find yarn to match the navy in the sweater. I had some Plymouth yarn that was pretty close and even had some wool in it.
This is what I did:
Starting at the armpit, I picked up (with a crochet hook) 84 stitches more or less evenly spaced around the armhole. After putting on a marker to show where the beginning of the round started I did a K2, P2 ribbing for 5 rounds. To bind off I used Jenny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off(found at Knitty and also on YouTube if you prefer video tutorials) which I have discovered works very well.
|Ribbing in place on first armhole|