About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, November 7, 2016

Munchie Monday: Apple Crisp!

The old saying: "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade" can also be applied to apples.  If the apples are soft, make apple crisp.

We had a bowl of nice tart apples which were no longer crisp and perfect for eating.  Thrift makes it impossible for me to toss them onto the compost pile.  This morning I awoke just after 4 AM and decided to finally do something about those apples which were screaming at me to take care of them before they totally turned into mush and bruises.

What I did:

Peeled, cored, and chopped the apples and tossed them into a 3-quart bowl.

Measured out 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon which I sprinkled over the apples.  With a spatula I mixed the apples, sugar, and cinnamon until every chunk of apples was well seasoned.

Cinnamon flavored apple chunks in 9 by 13 dish





In that same 3-quart bowl I put 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, and 1 teaspoon nutmeg.  After mixing that around I added 1/2 cup softened butter and, using my fingers, rubbed the butter into the flour mixture until there were lovely crumbled.

Crumbs ready for the topping


Put the seasoned apples evenly into a 9 by 13 glass baking dish then sprinkle on the crumb topping.  Place in a preheated 350 degree F. oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the apples are cooked and soft.  (I did not bother greasing the baking dish.  We shall see if that was a poor decision....)

Cooked crisp, cooling on the marble slab (a useful family heirloom which came from a great-aunt's hardware store counter)


When the apple crisp is getting close to being finished cooking, it fills the kitchen with the most delicious cinnamon fragrance.  Such a lovely smell for early morning visitors to enjoy as they enter the house from the middle-fall cold outside air.  Much nicer to sniff that the smell that happens when I foolishly steam some broccoli florets to munch on as a snack throughout the day....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: