About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Healthy, Weathy, and Wise: Not So Much Today

Over the weekend of General Conference in Salt Lake City there were words which touched my heart and put me back on the right path.  I decided I really would try the "small and simple means" to bring about something "marvelous".  But I told you that last week.

One of those things was to avoid fast food establishments for the week, and hopefully much longer.  Well, I did do that for a week.  Unless you count the cafe at Costco, which, for the first time ever, had no one champing at the bit for food in front of me. I knew Dear One was at home, hungry, so I stopped in.  But don't you think I was kidding myself.  I really was stopping for a Polish dog and sauerkraut.  Which was pretty good.  It would have been better with a real serving of the kraut, but still, it was good.

So I continued on with my small and simple things...like walking to the end of the hall after going to the "baño" before going back to the office. I think I mentioned that, too.

Having said that, today something happened that deflected me.  We received a poster from a fast food joint with many many coupons.  It was a place I have found food for Dear One which he enjoyed.  I am easy.  If someone else cooks it, and especially if they also clean up after the cooking, then I like anyway.  Except Water Melon . And her cousins.  So as we were driving home from the office I asked Dear One if he wanted a bean and cheese burrito.  He asked where I would find it so I named the restaurant.  He did not say no, which I always take to mean yes!  Is that bad thinking?

When we did arrive home he had some leftover pizza after vacuuming the floor with one of the vacuum cleaners he and Elder W. have been reconditioning for missionary apartments.  Our vacuum cleaner needs attention so he thought he would bring the least good of those reconditioned ones home and take our in for help.  So, the floor clean, pizza on his plate, I asked if he still wanted the burrito.  He waggled his hand.  I asked if he wanted anything at Winco.  That surprised him because he thought I was going elsewhere.

Well...off I went to Winco for milk, cauliflower, broccoli (did you know you can eat more than 100 cups of broccoli a day and still have no toxic side effects?!  And such good things can happen to your body.  SUCH good things.  If you don't eat broccoli, maybe you should start.  If you don't like it steamed, eat it sautéed.  If you don't like it that way, eat it raw.  If you don't like it raw and plain, stick it into some dip.  Even with fat and other stuff accompanying it, it is so good for you that it is still a plus even with the negatives.  Truly.

So, when I was just by Winco I remembered I had a trunk full of returnable bottles so I went into recycling center  to return the bottles and get the deposits back.  Eighteen bottles later the machine bit the dust.  Since it was pleasant outside and the button to call a helper was right there, I pressed the call button.  Shortly a young man in a red shirt tore by the open doors and told me he would be right there.  Almost immediately the door on the wall behind me opened and there he was.  We chatted about the machines not working for a bit then he counted up our bottles and gave me the slip to get the deposits back.  It was almost enough to pay for the milk, cauliflower, broccoli, and fake deli meat I got for Dear One.  Well, I suppose you could call it vegetable deli meat to be more precise.  Either way, he liked it on rye bread last week.  Bonus!!

Then off to the fast food stand.  He had mentioned the free drink with the epic burrito so I ordered an epic carne asada burrito, Coke with no ice, a spicy jack quesadilla, and the free half-pound bean and cheese burrito.  The last two were for Dear One.

When I got to the window I was astounded at the cost.  I had totally misunderstood the coupon system.  Only one coupon allowed so since the bean and cheese burrito was only a dollar and he had evinced interest in the free soda I just bought the bean and cheese burrito.  When I asked about the higher-than-expected cost, the girl read through my order. She mentioned my chicken quesadilla.  I did not order a chicken quesadilla and told her so.  I looked behind me and saw cars backed up around the corner so I decided not to make stink, just took the food, paid the fee, and headed out.  I did note that the free drink: Coke, rattled quite a bit.  Ice.  I hate to pay for ice.  The soda pop in the machines almost always is plenty cold enough so we don't need to have the cup filled with ice and a little bit of soda.  That may seem cheap but, well, that is it.

So...the fast food trip turned out to be a really bad idea since I had to eat the CHICKEN burrito.  It was a misunderstanding, ordering that but the reason was the order board said, "Cheddar quesadilla" and "Spicy Jack Quesadilla".  Nowhere at all did it mention meat at all.  You see my problem.

Well, I must say both the burrito I did eat and the quesadilla that I also ate, were really quite delicious.  So the healthy, wealthy, and wise this week definitely wasn't.  What a bust.  Back on the wagon as of now.   I think I will have a nice tall nightcap of crystal clear water, no ice..

2 comments:

  1. Pattie....you always make me laugh. Glad you are enjoying your mission!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That makes me happy, Kim! I must say the new leaf I turned over yesterday lasted until suppertime tonight. Dear One ate leftover pizza and burrito halves which I had made earlier this week for his supper. He even fixed it himself. I took a smashed up pork chop with the water it was cooked in, added a big slug (and I am talking BIG slug!) of steamed Brussels sprouts that just this side of gone by, some Better Than Bouillon chicken flavoring, and a spoon of cream cheese. Brought all this to a boil then stirred until the cream cheese was not blobs anymore. On top I tossed on the badly crumbled tortilla chips that Dear One does not like to eat. He likes the tortilla strips, just not the broken things in the bottom of the bag. There was about one Tablespoon of them. Maybe two tablespoons, or three. There definitely were not four tablespoons. I am pretty sure. I would stake my life on the fact that there were NOT five tablespoons of crumbs. Then I ate this large bowl of stuff. All of it. Right now I do not think I could lean over and untie my shoes. Even if I had them on my feet...!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here: