About The Country Wife Blog

Thursday, June 4, 2020

Garden Tower!

Recently I have been watching Robbie and Gary Gardening on YouTube.  Robbie is so interesting and has such great (to me) ideas.  She does a lot of container gardening.  She also has hundreds of hummingbirds visit her every day!  I like that.

Anyway, I more or less followed her idea in making a garden towel.


The bottom bucket has broken-up bits of a tree branch that fell down across the road and was blown onto our lawn. I was happy to use it for the bottom layer.  After that we put some wood chips that had already started to compost over at B C Mulch and More.  Those people are so nice.  We did buy some wonderful compost from them for our Mel's Mix for the raised bed/square foot garden but it is almost $30 a bucket.  Worth it, but still, if we can be patient we can enjoy compost from the wood chips.

After the wood chips we put in some potting soil from Lowes.  Next came the second blue tub where we put in wood chips then dirt.  Finally the white bucket which has pretty big holes in it.  Actually there are pretty big holes in the bottoms of all three buckets.  I am looking forward to worms and microbes finding there way inside to turn everything into wonderful food for the plants.

Oh, and under the largest bucket is a big tub of wood chips.  My idea is to slide the bucket along next year, in hopes that there will be some soil underneath by then.

The white bucket is for our kitchen waste.  We cannot have a compost pile in our back yard but a bucket...?  Anyway, if a few months it might turn into compost.  We shall see.

In the big bucket you can barely see the two little sweet potato plants J-1 brought over on the weekend.

Can you tell I am pretty happy with the way the garden is going?!  I did ask Dear One how he felt about me putting in a raft of garden towers.  His instant response:  "NO!"  Okay.  We will see how the one does. I am optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: