About The Country Wife Blog

Friday, June 5, 2020

Food Friday: G-BOMBS Plus Meal

When I was reading a Dr. Joel Furhman book, whose title escapes me at the moment, but it might have been The End of Diabetes this time,  I first learned about G-BOMBS.  I thought that idea was a good one.

G-BOMBS is short for:
Greens
Beans
Onions
Mushrooms
Berries
Seeds

All these foods are great for fighting cancer as well as so many other chronic diseases.  I decided to make a meal with G-BOMBS and see if I could get Dear One to eat it.


When I made this I very carefully wrote down the "recipe".  I thought I put it in my Day One journal, but I do not find it there...so this is my memory of what I put in the pan:
1 red onion, finely diced
8 white mushrooms, peeled and VERY FINELY chopped
1 red bell pepper and 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 can red beans in chili sauce
1 cup brown rice cooked in Instant pot with 1 cup water for 28 minutes on HIGH then release pressure naturally (yes, I use the same amount of water as rice when cooking in the Instant Pot and it comes out perfectly.  I just about always cook on HIGH for 28 minutes and release pressure naturally.  Sometimes I add a little miso paste to the water for flavor.)
1 bunch of kale fresh from the garden, washed, de-stemmed, finely chopped then put in the Instant Pot on top of the rice and water.  Yes, it is going to be cooked to heck but that is my aim.  I want it as invisible as possible for obvious reasons!
1 heaping Tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
While the rice and kale were cooking, I water sautéed the onions, peppers, and mushrooms until they were very tender.  At that point I tossed in the garlic and spices for about two minutes.  
Added the can of beans with liquid and stirred well.  Added in the cooked rice and kale and mixed until well conglomerated.  (Be sure the heat is on low.)  Covered the pan and let simmer for 5-10 minutes for flavors to mix.  Passed a little salt at the table for those who love salt.
We had blackberries for dessert.  The only G-BOMB we did not have was seeds but we could have thrown in some pumpkin or sunflower seeds in either the meal or on the berries...but we did not.  Also, I knew Dear One would take the peanut butter jar and a sleeve of crackers up to the "man cave" sometime during the evening.
All in all, it was a successful meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: