About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, June 16, 2020

New Handwork Project! Dorset Buttons!

The patriotic cape was done but needed buttons. I did not feel like trying several stores to find enough of the expensive large buttons.  What to do?  Well, I remembered hearing about Dorset buttons.  I actually think I might have tried them many years ago with no success.  Now we have YouTube!

The video I went back to several times was Gina-B Silkworks.  

Following her directions I made one button.  It was okay so I installed it on the cape.  Being more or less successful I made a second one and also sewed it on the cape.  Dear One thought (when I asked him!) that there should probably be three buttons, so I made another one.


This one I am rather happy with!  I remembered to push the knots at the outside of the button to the back and worked as many back stitches as I had time for.  This button is WAY better than the other two, but since the cape is just a sample, I am going to leave those other buttons on until I have finished a few other projects, then I will take them off and re-do them.

This is a fun project.  I used a large snap-together curtain ring and worsted weight yarn, the blue from the cape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: