About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Middle of the Night Knitting Again

Last night I could not sleep. At all.  Finally I got out of bed and dragged into Dear One's office/tv room/my auxiliary work room! (That last is somewhat to Dear One's consternation, but...well, that is where the comfy chair is.

We have a baby being born soon a few houses down from us.  The brave girl is planning a home birth.  Good for her.  My sister did that and was successful.  In fact, my sister herself was a home birth, though not  on purpose.  The roads were so bad/muddy that our mother could not get to the hospital so a neighbor came over.  Good thing, too, because my sister was a blue baby.  A. V. L. was able to suck the gook out of her throat and saved her life.  I am so grateful.  I cannot imagine life without my sister in it.

Anyway, I had started knitting a pair of Tiny Tennis Shoes for the new baby-to-be down the street. They are two-color shoes. I had nearly finished the second sole when I realized that the blue upper yarn was not any where in sight. I went through all the yarn in the workroom, our bedroom just in case, and the workroom closet.  NO BLUE YARN ANYWHERE.  So, since that baby will be here very soon I started a different project.

Going to Ravelry I found a pretty simple four-needle baby sock pattern and downloaded it.   I had recently gotten some sock yarn from Schachenmayr designed by Arne and Carlos, knitting heroes of mine, so I started in on those baby socks, the ribbed ones, not the cabled cuffs!  Too late in the game for that.  I worked until 2:00 AM and tried again on sleeping.  This is the result:

This is the point where I had just knitted the heel flap.

This is the yarn I used:

The knitting needles are Brittany wood needles in US size 1...a vastly different experience from the US size 15's I used for the sleeve slot cape I just finished yesterday!

Before breakfast (well, around 11:00 AM!) I finished this sock.

Directly after breakfast/lunch (veggie burgers, french fries with the nacho sauce I made yesterday and used for dipping, garden lettuce, sweet potato) I went back upstairs. 

Just now I have finished steaming the socks.



I think they are pretty cute.

NEWSFLASH:  I had just, and I mean JUST, finished knitting the second sock when I glanced to my right for some reason.  This is what I saw:

When I opened the door to see why there was a bag peeking out from Dear One's closet door, THERE was the blue yarn I had searched all over creation to find last night!

Now on to the Tiny Tennis Shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: