About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, November 9, 2020

Munchie Monday: Failed Pancakes If You Can Believe It!!

 Dear One loves fat fluffy pancakes.  We went to Costco one day last week.  He saw Kodiak Pancake and Waffle Mix on the shelf, remembered our missionary days, and thought it would be a great idea to get it.  Okay, we got it.

Here you see it was Kodiak Cakes not Kodiak Pancake and Waffle Mix, but I bet you grasped what I was talking about....

This morning I made up the pancakes after he returned from his bike ride.  He had eaten a toasted English muffin before his ride so I was not rushing around to make breakfast.  Instead I was working on Christmas knitting, which is coming right along, by the way!

When I pulled out the Kodiak box I noted it called for 1 cup of mix and 1 cup of milk of any kind.  Or maybe it said water.  Be that as it may,  we had nearly half a gallon of buttermilk in the refrigerator from something I made a couple of weeks ago.  Dear One is the one who purchased a half gallon of buttermilk.  We buy it by the pint in Vermont. It appears that people in the South like their buttermilk!!

So I put 1 cup mix in a bowl with 1 cup buttermilk and stirred it up in great shape.  It was quite thick.  Surprisingly.


Here was the first pancake cooking in our non-stick pan.  It just sat there. Very sludgy looking.  Eventually I flipped it over.  I had a good idea that it was not cooked all the way through.  A little later, after cooking three more like this, I started pulling them apart.  They just slid apart as easy as pie. The center was DEFINITELY not cooked.  

At this point I stopped cooking from the bowl and started pulling apart the raw-in-the-middle pancakes and flipped them raw side down into the pan.  They cooked up pretty well.  At least I thought they were okay.

Now for the final bad idea...I added about a half cup of water to the batter in the bowl, stirred it a little bit and cooked two more pancakes. It looked more or less like "real" pancake batter.


Here it is in the pan and looking a little more like a real pancake.  I thought all would be well.  Since it had enough popped bubbles in the top, I decided to flip it.


Here you see the great flipping job!  The pancake pleated on the pan.  Nice!

As it happened, Dear One was not enamored of these pancakes  for some reason so I had to eat some or throw them out. I hate wasting food so you guessed it, I ate three of the nasty things.

Next time---no buttermilk!  In fact, next time I think I will make muffins instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: