About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, November 23, 2020

Munchie Monday: Thanksgiving Pies Plus Skin Update

 It is time again for baking pies for the Marines at Cherry Point...the ones who need to be on base for Thanksgiving.  My sister and her husband and one or two others make way over 100 pies for the servicemen and women.  It makes me happy to help.  PLUS... I get to see my sister who I miss tremendously.

Here are the first pies out of the oven and the next batch ready to go in.  It is not too onerous since I bought frozen pie crusts.

These are the first eight pies.  I plan to make two more and call it good.  I only have ten boxes to store them in for the trip to North Carolina...so ten is all we will do.

My toll house pie recipe is as follows:

In a stand mixer bowl place 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and 3/4 softened butter (only use butter-no other kind of grease unless you like a nasty flavor).  Turn the mixer on and let beat until very very smooth, at least five minutes.  Add two eggs that are at room temperature and beat again until smooth.  Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and mix.

Stir in 1/2 cup all-purpose flour and 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.  When well combined, pour into a 9" deep dish pie shell.  Bake in a preheated 325 degree F. oven for 50-60 minute.  The top should be nicely browned.  If the pie jiggles, I would leave it in the oven another 2-3 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting.


SKIN NEWS

Well, on Friday I went back to the doctor to have the suture removed and to learn the diagnosis.  I had a fun time knitting in the waiting room for an hour then a nurse (at least I suppose she was a nurse) called me back in and told me I have "serious eczema" and after she pulled out the stitch she gave me a prescription and sent me on my way.  Surprising.

Well, it is good to have a name for the discomfort.  It really is getting better. At least the nighttime itching has mostly stopped.  Now it is other things that keep me awake or wake me up, just like so many other people.  Oh well, I do often get a lot of knitting done in the nighttime hours. I have started watching knitting podcasts on the tv while I knit.  I have finished all the Fleece and Harmony episodes and now have started Fruity Knitting starting at Episode 1.  Those are both wonderful podcasts.  I love the knitting, I love the chat, and I love all the other things they post.  Fleece and Harmony Mill is located on Prince Edward Island.  If we still lived in Vermont I would want to go up and visit them!

I am so grateful to Judy Tucker for getting me on to Andrew and Andrea at Fruity Knitting! #givethanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: