About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, November 16, 2020

Munchie Monday: A Favorite Meal

 A quick and easy meal, and one of my favorites, is bean burritos.  When we went to Costco recently we purchased a bag of flour tortillas.  We have plenty of dried refried beans that we obtained quite a while ago from the Church's Home Storage Center.  We store them in 5-gallon pails with Gamma Seal lids, which, by the way, I just found locally at the Tractor Supply Company!  They cost a little more there than they do online, but there is no added shipping fee.

This afternoon Dear One was reading on the back porch.  He asked me if I was serving supper today.  Good question.  I was not particularly hungry so I could have passed on it but I remembered those tortillas and the lightbulb went on.

The recipe is so simple.  To make enough for four burritos I put 1 cup boiling water in a saucepan and added 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic, 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion, and 1 1/2 cups of the dried refried bean flakes.  After stirring them all together well, and with the water still boiling, I then put the cover on the saucepan, shut off the heat, and removed the pan from the burner.

After ten minutes I removed the cover from the saucepan and stirred well.

Now comes the fun!  While the beans were rehydrating I finely diced half a sweet onion, sliced some iceberg lettuce, got out salsa and shredded cheese from the refrigerator.  After heating the tortillas in the microwave for 35 seconds, they were ready to turn into burritos.

For a change I decided to let each of us make our own.  Which we did. Then we sat down at the table, blessed the meal, and had a nice easy relatively healthy supper.  Dear One added cheese to his burrito.



This is my burrito: tortilla, beans, chopped onions, sliced lettuce.  After folding it up, deliciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: