About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Another Bag Today, This One Is Fabric Pieces

 Today I planned to use some Home Defense spray inside the house.  Unfortunately when I read the directions on the container I realized I was not prepared to do and wear all that was needed.  So I decided to go to the sewing machine for another project instead.

Over the past year as I collected weaving tools I realized I needed a better way to store them.  The other day I was at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore here in town.  I almost never stop there but about a mile before the turn-off it crossed my mind to go there that day.  So I did. I went to the craft section and book section and found two books--one on spiralizing!  As I walked through the building I thought of possibly getting a small sturdy armless chair to use while at the spinning wheel.  Nothing caught my eye but when I turned down the aisle to leave the store I saw a 2-foot long piece of 8" heavy PVC pipe.  Exactly what I have been looking for!  The price was right so I picked it up, immediately left the store (after paying, of course) and went home to see if my eyes had treated me right.  They had! 

 It was the perfect size for the heddles, pick-up sticks, stick shuttles, and several other things for both looms.  The only glitch was that there was no bottom.  I had already thought I just needed to make a bag with a drawstring which would be a bottom of the bag as well as a top closure.

This is what I made today:


Okay, so it looks pretty icky and it is not as tall as the tallest heddle, but the bottom is closed and I can pick it up and carry it around with me if that is what I wanted to do.  The fabric came into my possession last week as someone was passing along some VERY bright colored yarn and a bag which turned out to have two tablecloths and a big pile of pre-stitched fabrics. I took four of them and made this bag. 

The drawstring was also blue and part of the broken umbrella we had over the table on the back deck to keep the sun off.  I think I talked about deconstructing that umbrella a year or so ago where I used the "uprights" to put in the Money Tree plant pot.  I had kept the fabric thinking that since it is very sturdy fabric it might be good for something.  Well, part of it was good for something!!

Makes me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: