About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, August 15, 2016

Munchie Monday: COLLARD Chips! Yes, Collard Chips...

We all love kale chips, right?!  Well, I do, though I realized recently that what I like most, besides the crunchy, and sometimes chewy-ness, is getting the salt fix.  I have also recently found that the salt is not doing happy things for my health so I wanted to try something new.  This is it!

Collar Chips!


One bunch collards
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning...or just salt, pepper, and granulated garlic to taste.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Wash and pat dry the collards.  Tear the leaves off the stems into large-ish bite-sized pieces.  Place on a half sheet pan and drizzle the 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over them.  With very clean hand, massage the oil onto the collard pieces until they all have a sheen of oil on them.

Sprinkle the one teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning all over the top of the greens.  It helps if you had already measured out the seasoning...especially if you did not wash your hands after massaging the collards,  something I don't really advocate.

Massage the salty mixture into the collards then place sheet pan in the pre-heated oven.  Let bake for 10 minutes then pull out and turn the pieces of collards over.  Set timer for another 3 minutes and check again.  Pull out the pan and flip again.  I ended up cooking them for 19 minutes total.  After the 13 minutes a few of the smaller leaves were crispy and ready to remove, which I did.  After each 3 minutes I pulled out more chips.

These were really good...even with way less salt than I usually use.

The only glitch is that I left them on a cooling plate, helping myself several times during the day, BUT it was TERRIBLY HOT AND HUMID weather so by the time night came, these were not crispy anymore.  They were chewy.  Well, I like chewy, too, so there was no problem for me.  That may vary for you...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: