About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Watercolor Painting: The House By The Side Of The Road

There is a wonderful poem that my mother could quote by heart and which my father loved.  He was surely a man who lived in a house by the side of the road and acted as Sam Foss suggests in this poem.

The House by the Side of the Road  by Sam Walter Foss

    THERE are hermit souls that live withdrawn
    In the place of their self-content;
    There are souls like stars, that dwell apart,
    In a fellowless firmament;
    There are pioneer souls that blaze the paths
    Where highways never ran-
    But let me live by the side of the road
    And be a friend to man. 

    Let me live in a house by the side of the road
    Where the race of men go by-
    The men who are good and the men who are bad,
    As good and as bad as I.
    I would not sit in the scorner's seat
    Nor hurl the cynic's ban-
    Let me live in a house by the side of the road
    And be a friend to man....

     ....Follow the link above to read the full poem.  It is inspirational, at least to me.

    Why do I bring this poem to your attention?  This is why....In the fall of 2014 I had the blessing of attending a watercolor painting class taught by Ed Kadunc.  It was at Court Street Arts in Haverhill, New Hampshire.

    The following is one of the paintings that Ed coached me through.  I like it.

    The house by the side of the road...

    You will notice the picture is framed.  You will notice it was not a good photograph.  Sorry.  I am learning to take pictures but am not there yet!

    This painting hangs on the wall of a dear friend.  She is a watercolor painter of long years' duration, except that for many years her paints and brushes laid dormant.  In the last year or so she has picked up her art materials again and has such joy in her work.

    She asked to see my paintings.  She loved this one so I gave it to her. Immediately she framed and hung it.

    That makes me very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: