Blueberry Muffin Tops
- For batter
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 whole large egg
- 1 large yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (12 oz)
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Special equipment: 2 muffin-top pans, each with 6 (4- by 1/2-inch) muffin-top cups (1/2-cup capacity)*; or regular muffin pans
- Make batter:
- Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 375°F. Generously butter muffin pans.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over moderately low heat, then remove from heat. Whisk in milk, then whisk in whole egg, yolk, and vanilla until combined well.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, then add milk mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in blueberries gently but thoroughly.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups, spreading evenly.
- Make topping and bake muffins:
- Rub together all topping ingredients in a bowl with your fingertips until crumbly, then sprinkle evenly over batter in cups.
- Bake until golden and crisp and a wooden pick or skewer inserted diagonally into center of a muffin comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool in pans on a rack 15 minutes, then run a knife around edge of each muffin top and carefully remove from cups. Serve warm or at room temperature.
at cookware shops and cooking.com.
Bottom Side Up Muffin Tops, not cooled for 15 minutes before removing from pan.
This is what I did differently.
The muffin top pan I have has 12 holes in it. I used vegetable oil spray and sprayed very well. I did not make the topping, having planned to sprinkle sugar over the top. I forgot to do that sprinkling. I used an extra large egg instead of 1 large egg and 1 egg yolk. I needed to add a few tablespoons of extra milk to make it a better batter.
Looking at the recipe as I write this post, I see that I was supposed to let the muffins tops cool for 15 minutes. I took them out within about 3 minutes. Not a good idea!
|Leftover Batter cooked in silicon pan, left to cool for 15 minutes!|
Even though the muffin tops look ugly, they taste okay. I think they should have some cinnamon and maybe other spices in them, though. Next time.