About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Instant Pot Food: Vigo Rice

So far, after about two months, I am still so very happy with the Instant Pot (IP-DUO60 7-in-1 Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker, 6 Qt/1000W)  that I purchased on Amazon after watching multiple YouTube videos using this piece of equipment. It is worth saving up the money to purchase one. I am only sad that I was unaware of the special cyber sale day in July when they were 50 percent off!  Maybe Black Friday in November will have them available someplace for a good savings if you want to get one.

Anyway, this is a meal I made recently.

Dear One did not want leftovers.  Well, what else is new?!!  I thought with the instant pot I could make a pretty quick and easy meal with no leftovers.  Of course, the possible problem here is that there would not be ENOUGH for a meal....



What I did:

Washed, cut in half and removed the seeds and pithy membranes from one red bell pepper then chopped finely. (Vegetable chunks of any reasonable size are not welcomed by Dear One so VERY TINY pieces need to be provided, and that is tiny pieces PRIOR to cooking!)

Peeled and cut in half one sweet onion.  Rapidly sliced the onion.  (Had accident with the sharp serrated knife...)

Tossed the pepper and all the onion  into the instant pot then added the contents of the Vigo yellow rice package plus 2 cups water.  At this point I was not sure of what settings to use because everyone does things differently with their I-pots.  I pressed the "Manual" button then decreased the time from 30 minutes to 8 minutes.  I think I had already put the cover on and moved the gadget on top to pressure or steaming or whatever it says.  And walked away!

When the pressure had built up (probably about 10 minutes, maybe a little more) the timer started counting down.  When the timer dinged I was so happy. I left the pot in the warming mode for about 5 minutes then VERY CAREFULLY moved the gadget on top to "Venting" and let the pressure go down instantly (more or less instantly because I had let it alone for 5 minutes...) and removed the cover with the steam escaping out the back AWAY from my face.  (Did not want to add scald burns to my face in addition to the sliced finger to go with this meal...!)

Finished Vigo rice supper.  Yay!  It worked.


The rice was beautifully cooked and tasted pretty good.  We will probably have this again.  After I buy more emergency Vigo rice packets...

There was enough for two servings.  NO LEFTOVERS. 





2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! Turned out perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m trying it right now thanks loved your story 😃

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here: