About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Knitting: Wash Cloths, Different Stitch Pattern

After my day at the emergency room I had to have a follow-up appointment with my physician.  In the lobby at the clinic was a hospital volunteer.  She was knitting.  Of course, I cannot walk by a knitter without inquiring as to the project, sometimes spending a great deal of time chatting!  It is so lovely to visit with knitters.  You can learn so much from them.

On this occasion I asked what she was making. She was making wash cloths.  I did not recognize the stitch. She said it was mindless knitting!  It was a double seed stitch, she told me.  Knit 2, Purl 2 then repeat on the next row.  A two row pattern repeat.

This seemed like such a great idea that I started knitting when I got home.  I am so grateful to that lady for her suggestion. I love the texture of these cloths.  Sadly, she was not there when I went back for another appointment.  I wanted to thank her for her help.

Double seed stitch cloths except for the top cloth which is a slip stitch design.


These are knit with worsted weight cotton yarn...mostly Peaches and Creme.  I am nearly out of full balls so pretty soon I will make slip-stitch patterns to use up the partial balls.  Once the yarn is all used up I CAN BUY MORE with a clear conscience.  That may be a while, though....

This is what I did:

Using the worsted weight yarn and US Size 8 knitting needles I cast on 36 stitches and started with Knit 2, Purl 2 to the end (you need to cast on a multiple of 4 stitches to make this stitch mindless and easy to do).  Turn and Knit 2, Purl 2 back.  On the third row, Purl 2, Knit 2 across.  Turn and repeat.  On the fifth row, go back to Knit 2, Purl 2 for two rows,

Repeat these rows until you have a square cloth.    Bind off in knit on the right side row.  Be sure not to cast off too tightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: