About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Winter Garden December 2016

When I went to Stern's Produce Market one time this summer, the nice young man taking my money observed that I had three bunches of green onions/scallions.  He said, "You know, you can grow your own green onions from these plants after you use up the greens, don't you?"

No, I did not know that.  When I get home from Stern's I always put the green onions in a glass of water to keep them happy until I am ready to use them.  I have sometimes cut off a few of the greens and left the rest in the water.  Amazingly, more greens begin to grow, so that one purchase of scallions gives a lot of nice "greens".

Well...after talking with the nice boy at Stern's, I used all the greens on my scallions then took the cut-off white bottoms with the roots on them upstairs to where we have a nice big planter in a south window.  I planted them in the dirt and, in no time at all, lots of green came rushing up to the sky.  I have cut them numerous times.

Sadly,  in the last month-plus, I have not spent much time upstairs so the poor little creatures have not had any drinking water.  I took this picture to guilt myself into taking better care of the scallions.  I gave them a GREAT BIG drink and don't they look happy now!

This picture was taken after the watering.They are reaching for the sky again.
You will notice all the dried bits.  Bad me for not taking care of them and using the greens.  I think from now I will stop being lazy and just go up and harvest at least once a week.  Scallions are good in just about everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: