About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Quick and Easy Gift Bag

A dear  Church Service Missionary was concluding his service after working in the office for five years.  He wants to clean his garage so I knit him some cleaning cloths.


One of them was knit in seed stitch since he takes very good care of his roses.  The other is in garter stitch.  They are both rather thick cloths since I held two strands of worsted weight cotton yarn together and use a US 10.5 knitting needles. I think I cast on 15 stitches but it might've been 18.

Next I wanted a bag to give them in.  I took two pieces of 12 by 12 inch double-sided yardstick.  On three edges of both sheets I scored at 3 inches.  On the fourth side I scored at 1 1/2 inches.  I folded on the score lines then on the 1 1/2 inch side I folded the paper with desired inside folded to the outside. This becomes the top of the bag.  Next, on one of the pieces of yardstick I cut off the 3-inch squares at the bottom of the bag, the folded along the lines.  On the other  piece of scored paper, I cut horizontally into the middle making two 3" flaps and a six-inch by three-inch middle section.

Since I did not take any photos of the process, I can only say that you make folds then put the two halves of the bag together with glue.  I used Elmer's Extreme Glue Stick. I think a hot glue gun worth have been quicker but it also probably would have made lumpy parts.  It would have held together well, though.  You could go on YouTube and look for "Easy Gift Bags" or something like that.  This description will help you find it.

 If anyone really wants me to, I will look for it myself, just not tonight.

This is what it looked like:

One final thing I did with the bag was to pinch the tops of the two ends to give it more of a "bag" look.  I paper-punched holes for the ribbon handles.  Elder A was happy with the gift though I only signed my initials, something he had not seen before and did not know who it was from.  He is such a kind man.  We already miss him two days (the weekend) later...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: