About The Country Wife Blog

Thursday, December 26, 2019

Sometimes Surprises Are Welcome!

It is always wonderful when a surprise works out.  This is mostly a new experience for me.  Most of my surprises turn out either not to be surprises or they are not welcomed by the recipient for some unknown reason.  This time was a slam dunk!

Our bathroom counter has been a total disaster despite the fact that it is probably four times larger than any previous bathroom counter.  My sister suggested a shelving unit.  I found a Honey Can Do unit on Amazon for not much money and figured I was smart enough to put it together.  It arrived and was stored in our bedroom behind the Josephine chair (well, I call it a Josephine chai. It is really a chaise lounge.)  Dear One actually put the Amazon box there for me.

Now the trick was to get it put together without Dear One finding out.  One day when he was out riding his bike I got it two-thirds together and realized there was something wrong with it.  The directions had failed me. I thought. Then the garage door opened and I knew the biker had returned so I put everything in the tiny closet in the workroom until another day.

Several nights later I was awake in the middle of the night and thought it was time to go at it again.  As I entered the room I found a SECOND set of directions (Steps 1-4!!) on my desk.  This made a huge difference. In less than 30 minutes I had the rack taken apart then reassembled properly and stored in the closet.

You will notice the buckets of roving that are just waiting for me to give myself permission to start spinning wool again.  That day is coming....

Now for the real fun!

Early morning on Christmas Day I thought I heard jingle bells in the street so I assumed good old Santa and his merry reindeer were ready to do a little work.  I quietly got out of bed, went to the closet, and, without any lights, and also without jamming the rack into some wall on the way, managed to get into the bathroom without awaking the slumbering husband.  I shut and locked the door, turned on the light, and very carefully set up the storage rack.  Previously I had brought in two clear storage bins to put everything into.


So, you are right: it does not look that great BUT it is so fabulous to have the counter mostly empty.  AND Dear One was totally flabbergasted.  Of course, it was probably less then ten minutes after I had come back to bed that he got up for a bathroom trip.  He was gone quite a while.  When he came back to bed he said, "How did you do it?"  I told him we could talk in the morning since I was just about asleep.

So, for once, not only was it a real surprise, but he really liked it.  Win on all sides.  Makes me really happy. 

He surprised me, too. With a beautiful necklace.  I would show a picture but then you would see my double, or maybe treble, chin up close.  Can't do it.  Maybe some day.  I did lose 30 pounds this year so maybe if I lose another 30 next year...?!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: