About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, December 23, 2019

Munchie Monday: Collards!!!

Finally!!  The collards are being harvested. I am so glad. I have such a great memory of one time we went to some southern place for a vacation and stopped at a farmers' market.  There was not much there but there WERE collards.  We/I bought a bunch of them which totally filled my arms.  The cost was $3.00! 

When we got back to the resort unit I got out a giant pot, added a little oil, chopped onions, and garlic then added a bunch of water and chopped collards and let it cook.  I thought is was pretty good and have been hungering for them ever since.

Collards ready to chop.  The spine has already been stripped out of each leaf.
On Friday after the YMCA class I put the Dorr Farm in the GPS and made my way out there.  There is a lot of farm land not that far from where we live. It was a great trip.  It would not be fun if it had been raining or if it was currently raining.  There was a sign that said: "Road subject to flooding."  Yikes.  And the road to the farm was not in perfect shape that very day! After rain early in the week...

Anyway, I did get a big armful of collards and brought them home.  Also sweet potatoes, cabbage, and broccoli.
Collards chopped, washed, and stuffed into the Instant Pot.  One whole bunch was chopped!


After 58 minutes in the Instant Pot, this is what is left!  They really do moosh down.

After chopping one of the two bunches of collards into bite-size pieces I put them in the 8-quart Instant Pot along with a quart of vegetable broth and cooked the heck out of those babies.  Actually I cooked them on high for 58 minutes...the same length of time we use for making vegetable broth.
Collards and Tajin on a small bowl of grits.  Yummy!

Once they were cooked, I made a serving of grits, put a big spoonful of the greens on top then sprinkled with Tajin.  What a great meal!  What a great breakfast!  Lunch and Dinner, too!  I love this stuff.  They are so tender and delicious. Amazingly, it holds me for hours.  Such a great thing.

This was totally vegan...no ham bone or fatback or other fabulous pork-y thing.  The nice girl who helped me at the farm suggested seasoning the collards with Goya ham seasoning.  Piggly Wiggly had those packets so I used them.  Tasty.  Probably too salty but...

You will probably notice the absence of Dear One mentioned here...he is not a fan.  I do hope that eating them every day does not turn my skin green like eating tons of carrots turns your skin orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: