About The Country Wife Blog

Friday, July 31, 2020

Food Friday: A New (To Me) Delicious Food

So many times since we have moved to the South I have heard of butter beans. This was new to me.  One day not so long ago I was in the bean section of the grocery store and happened to see "Seasoned Butter Beans".  They were not exorbitantly priced so I put the can in my cart.  When I got home I put it in the cupboard.  There it stayed.  Until today!

Today I spent some time with a dear friend.  We went to a farm stand she knew about which had good prices.  They had okra, also something I have heard a lot about since coming here, but also never eaten.  She told me that butter beans and okra are fabulous.  So we picked out five smallish okra and I took them home.

This is how I prepared butter beans and okra.  I do not know how you are supposed to do it, but this was my method.  And I LOVED them.  Dear One did not.  As you might expect.  It takes a while for him to come to love new things.  Except me.  He did rather love me from the beginning...! And still does forty-seven years later.



In a pot-in-pot in the Instant Pot I poured the can of butter beans and its seasoned liquor.  I finely chopped the okra then put it in with the butter beans to pressurize for 15 minutes.  I am certain Southern cooks will find that a travesty but that is what I did.  Boy, was it good!

NOTE:  If you don't know "pot-in-pot", this means you put the required amount of water in the liner bowl, insert the trivet, then put a smaller pot, bowl, or whatever, inside the Instant Pot liner bowl with the food and any liquid needed to cook it on top of the trivet.  Put on the lid and dial whatever pressure and time you need.  When the pressurizing is done and pressure has been released, use tongs to remove the "pot".  I use this for many different things when I don't want a huge amount of food.


1 comment:

Please feel free to comment here: