About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Recycling Project: Floor Mat

We have found some scraps of carpeting from one of the new houses in the development.  Well, actually, I was on another dump-picking run early one morning and brought home a roll of it.  The two small rectangles went into the man cave (so-called!) to protect our own carpet from sweaty feet.  The long strip of carpeting went into the garage.  It is a very nice addition there!

As it happens, I spend a great deal of time at the table in the workroom and my feet are often really hot from the outside work.  I thought I might use some of the bed sheet strips I had made several months ago since the crocheted rug they had been prepared for was not moving along very fast.

To make this floor mat,  I took four strips of about 1 1/2" wide bed sheets and folded them over.  With a biggish crochet hook (maybe a K?) and two strands of worsted weight cotton yarn I worked single crochets around the folded strips.  When I got to the end of a row (as wide as I thought it should be), I worked two more single crochets then folded the strips back the other direction, inserted the crochet hook into the previous row's single crochet under both strands and worked single crochets all the way back. 

When I had had enough of this crocheting, and also because basically I was out of fabric strips and did not want to stop to tear more, I just decided it was a floor runner, not a floor mat or rug!

It works just fine.  Once I do stop forward progress on other projects, I will tear more strips and add to the width of the mat.  It does work just fine now, but would be better another section or two larger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: