About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Sprouting Wheat

Bread is an addiction of mine.  I really love it.  I think my favorite breads are Lui Lui's crusty rolls dipped in their very flavorful olive oil (well, that is gone for the foreseeable future!), and garlic bread fresh out of the oven with lovely heavily garlicked butter greasing my fingers and tongue.  That, too, is on hold until the old body gets into reasonable condition.  Which will be a while!  Though progress is being made...!

Anyway, our daughter sent me a video on making bread from sprouted wheat.  Not bread from sprouted wheat flour, which is something I have made before, but bread from sprouted wheat.  That very night I put two cups of white winter wheat soaking.

The next morning this is what I saw:

See the little tiny white sprouts coming out the end of the kernels of wheat?!

This morning after watering the garden and harvesting tomatoes (which I had to pull out from under those horrid bugs that decimate almost perfectly ripe tomatoes...) and basil, I uncovered the sprouting wheat.  This is what I saw!--


Those baby sprouts are now toddlers!!  I am so thrilled.  Now it is time to get rolling on the bread but it will have to wait a while.  We are going on a junket so will make bread this afternoon in the heat!!!

UPDATE on the Zucchini counter pickles:  Robbie of Robbie and Gary Gardening in Southern California had made the pickles.  I had zucchini and followed suit.  She left hers to "work" on her counter for two days and mentioned maybe three days would be good.  Well, if three days is good, a week must be better.  Right?!  Totally wrong.  I opened them after a week and found nothing but mush.  Almost gagged me. Down the drain they went.

Since I don't learn very fast, I have some cucumber dill slices "processing" in the refrigerator...  Sadly, I did not make note of when I put them in the refrigerator (no counter time for these!) so am unsure about timing.  The recipe says one day to two weeks.  I guess I could check any time.  When I update with the bread situation I will pass along what happened to the dill slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: