About The Country Wife Blog

Friday, July 24, 2020

Food Friday: Nice Vegetable Broth in the Instant Pot

This week I made some vegetable broth from actual vegetables.  What a beautiful broth it is!!

There is a big difference between the "scrap broth" that I usually make...and will continue to make...but this is so lovely I might make it again, too!


Carrots
Onions
Celery
Bay leaves

Put them in a large steamer basket in Instant Pot liner.  Fill 3/4 full with water.  Set on HIGH pressure for 8 minutes.   This is VASTLY different from my usual method.  Well, the timing, anyway.  I usually set the pot on HIGH for 58 minutes, then, if I don't have time to strain and bottle up, I just set it brewing again.  And sometimes even again and again!  Nice dark broth.  Pretty heavily-flavored.

Once the timer expires I let the Instant Pot reduce pressure naturally then lifted the steamer basket of vegetables out and strained the broth into two 2-quart jars.

As far as amounts of the ingredients for this particular batch of broth:  I just used what I had that was becoming limp and not so fun to eat fresh. I think there was a whole bag of baby carrots, half a bunch of celery, and two large Vidalia onions plus 2 bay leaves.



This broth is light and lovely. I can hardly wait to use it.  I was thinking I might use it to make miso soup tonight instead of using water but then realized I am fuller than a tick with other (mostly) good food so no need to add more to the belly.

If you make this, let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: