About The Country Wife Blog

Friday, July 10, 2020

Food Friday: A Nice Supper

After a trip to the Flowers Farm where we picked up some gorgeous plump tomatoes among other things, I made a supper that included vegan ratatouille, marinated tofu steaks, and green salad and chopped tomatoes.  It was really good.

If you want to eat more plants,  you can make ratatouille by slicing zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, onions, and topping them with cherry tomatoes or even chunked up tomatoes and bake them/roast them for 45 minutes in a 400 degree F. oven.  If you are adventurous you can even slice some mushrooms and put on top.  The flavors all meld together and you don't really need any spices.  There is nothing like roasted cherry tomatoes!!!  Next time I go to a market that has cherry tomatoes I will probably get a big basketful and roast them.  Maybe with some rosemary, thyme, oregano, and even chives from the porch garden.

The marinated tofu steak can be marinated in your favorite marinade.  The one I used came from my daughter who made a fabulous fondue dinner for Father's Day which included cheese fondue, beef fondue, and chocolate fondue.  The tofu I used was super firm tofu from Trader Joe's but I just found some super firm tofu at Walmart. I did NOT clean them out, but I was tempted.

To make the tofu steaks, slice 1/4 inch thick slices from the short end of the drained tofu.  Place in a glass dish that has a cover and pour your marinade over it.  Flip the tofu over so all sides get marinade on them then cover and refrigerate overnight.  Put a drip pan under your air fryer basket then place the tofu steaks in the air fryer basket and push into the air fryer.  Air fry at 375 degrees F. for 15-16 minutes or until a crispy as you like.  I would have loved it to be way more crispy but since Dear One liked it, even ate THREE pieces, I will leave the time at 15 minutes!


Ratatouille on tofu steaks and chopped tomatoes on lettuce and mashed potatoes.  Really yummy supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: