About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Indoor Plants!

 When I was a girl, one of my favorite things in the world was to walk down across the Cross Lots pasture, along the brook and through the little woods to my Grammie Corwin's house on Route 110.  She was such a welcoming woman.  She often has ice cold raspberry Kool-aid in a beautiful green ceramic pitcher in the refrigerator on summer days which she generously dispensed to whatever child came by.  PLUS she would get out the Parcheesi board or the cards to play Racehorse.  Such a great afternoon before the long slog up the hill home....

All the windowsills in her house were filled with African violets.  Not one was like any other.  I cannot tell you how many she had, but they always seemed to be blooming.   I loved to walk from room to room and look at them.

As an adult I have tried growing African violets multiple times.  Do you think I have been able to be successful in this venture?  No!  Not at all.  It usually only take about two to three months before they are deader than a doornail.

Until now!  I am so very pleased.


This deep blue-y purple flower with fluttery petals is so pleasing to me.  We bought the plant many months ago when we had dinner guests coming. I bought the plant since I thought it would be a nice decoration.  I set it on the computer printer that is in the dining room...the only flat space for it.  It had lovely blossoms for a few weeks then just had leaves that looked a bit raunchy.

Perhaps two months ago I decided to move it to the antique oval marble table from Dear One's great-grandmother.  It sits in front of the French sliding door.  Whenever it has looked a little parched I have poured water into the glass loaf pan underneath it and whispered good wishes and encouragement.

The past few days all these blossoms have come out!  I am so happy.  SO HAPPY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: