About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Rainbow Galaxy Hat and Cowl by Unicorn Designs

 This test knit worked better than I expected it to.


This is the toddler version of the Rainbow Galaxy Hat.  I did not knit the cowl.  At least, not yet!

This hat started out with US size 7 needles (I used 16" circular needles) then moved on to US size 8 needles for the cable pattern.  This was also a 16" circular needles.  When it was time for the decreases at the crown I pulled out another 16" cable needle (funny that I would have a second one, what?!!) and put half the stitches on one of them and half the stitches on the other.  This worked as easily as using double-pointed needles for the decreases.

The first few stitches of the cable round to start the star stitch was a little challenging when I started but quickly became easy.  At least the stitch itself was easy.  Holding two strands together with one of them being 100% cotton is what made the challenge.  Cotton yarn is not as flexible as other yarns.

The yarn I used was two different Loops & Threads:  Cotton Colors--color Starfish and Snuggly Wuggly in Yellow.  I liked the way the yellow gave us a stable color all the way through with the variegated Cotton Colors giving a nice change.

When the pattern is released to the public, it will be a good pattern to use.  I think if I do it again, I will find some wool yarn in DK weight...maybe a variegated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: