One night while I was visiting M came home from work and said, "Let's paint tonight!" I was thrilled. I opened YouTube and went to a tutorial. She wanted a bird to paint so we found one.
This cardinal is my cardinal.
Because I try very hard not to make comparisons, I will just say that I am happy enough with this guy.
Our process was to watch the YouTube all the way through. We liked it and thought it was do-able so we went back to the beginning and started watching again. Megan stopped it after a few brush strokes and kept it up until we were done. She took a great deal of care with her painting. I more or less slapped it together. That is what it looks like, too!
When I got tired of the cardinal I just drew some pine needles without remembering what they looked like on the original. I sort of don't mind how mine came out....
Perhaps I will do more work on this bird. Especially the beak. I love M's beak.
This is the video we used as our inspiration...
In looking at the original and then looking at our paintings, I see that both of us have birds sitting very dignified and upright. The cardinal in the YouTube is more relaxed and bent over on the branch.
When I showed our birds to Dear One, he said they were too fat, that they did not look like the slim and sylph-like cardinals at our bird feeder (when our bird feeder was still up. No bird feeders now because of the bears...).
My thought is to try this again, after I have re-worked the beak on the current painting. Of course, I need to get the kitchen cleaned and tidy, the workroom organized, the garden weeded, and so on or I will feel guilty painting...