About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Early Morning Yarn Project

Last night I came to the end of one of the skeins of yarn I was using to make a Garter Squish blanket.  I needed to add in another strand of yarn but wanted to do it from yarn cakes instead of skeined yarn.

Since all the remaining yarn I wanted to use for this blanket was in skeins, I got out the trusty Stanwood yarn winder. I LOVE that winder.  So sturdy.  So easy to use.  So trustworthy in winding up lovely yarn cakes.  Yarn cakes which do not roll all over the sapworks when you are using them which can be a problem with some skeins.



The two blue cakes and the two white cakes are the ones I wound this morning before breakfast.  The gray and purples I spruced up a bit by tucking in the ends to keep them tidy.  Now I can go to town again on the blanket.  I hope to have it done by the end of the month, but that may be wishful thinking.

One thing I have found is that you can quickly and easily wind a skein with 6 ounces of yarn in it.  A skein with 7 ounces of yarn in it stretches the capacity of the Stanwood but can be done by slowing down and helping it a little bit.  That is not really a problem since most of the yarn I wind is 4 ounces.

It was a good morning's work and started the day off very well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: