About The Country Wife Blog

Friday, May 4, 2018

Food Friday: What I Learned!

After the Vegetable Smoothie debacle yesterday I decided to leave out future beet parts from them.  The bunch had four beets, plus the greens attached.  Since I could not bear to toss them out I decided to cook them up somehow.  I remember my father eating beet greens with vinegar on them, then uplifting the bowl and draining the vinegar into his mouth.  I am not sure I will go that route, but I did steam the beet greens. They are now waiting in the refrigerator for me to eat them tonight.  I am not even going to TRY to offer them to Dear One.  Why plague the poor guy?!

Now there were the four beets, well, three and three-quarters beets...remember the quarter beet in the benighted vegetable smoothie...What to do with them. Hmmm. 

What I did with them was scrubbed the rest of them then cut them into quarters, pole to pole; put them in a large bowl with about 2 teaspoons olive oil; mixed them until there was oil on all surfaces; then sprinkled in some coarse Kosher salt and stirred again.  I roasted them for 45 minutes at 400 degrees F.  They were not quite done when we had to leave for the office so I just shut them off and left them in the oven, hoping the residual heat would finish cooking them.

Fast forward ten hours.  We arrived home from the office but I had gotten a bug to go to a hardware store to get some plexi-glass sheeting cut for watercolor paper support.  When I found an Ace Hardware store I noticed it was right next door to a Tienda Mexicana.  This was a sign!  I HAD to go. 

So I left Dear One at home to shift for himself and headed out.  I had a couple other stops in my mind, not that I shared that news widely, so I hoped he would eat up the leftover lasagna in the refrigerator.

The hardware store trip was way more successful than I had imagined and the Tienda Mexicana adventure came out really well. I walked out of the store with a few items (this had been an assignment for last week from my Spanish tutor which I had not completed for some reason, mostly gutlessness, but now it is done. I might go back and try again, and talk and listen a little more...).

When I got home Dear One met me in the kitchen doorway and apologized for turning on the oven without looking.  May I say, the beets were ready to eat?!  Actually, they were fabulous.  Roasting beets is the best way to ingest that important food.  This is a good thing to learn.

Another thing I learned this week is that it is possible to "over-process" flax seeds when you are turning them into flax seed meal.  You could have knocked me over with a feather when I opened the container and found that rather than flax seed meal, it was almost flax seed butter.  May I say that this has not stopped me from using it in smoothies and in the best oatmeal bowl ever.  It just is not as pleasant...


Well, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: