About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Paper Crafting: Thick Envelopes/Boxes with Envelope Punch Board

One of the senior sisters came into the office.  She spoke of wanting to deliver encouraging notes to some of our missionaries.  Immediately I thought of the Envelope Punch Board.  Because she wanted to enclose a little treat I thought of thick envelopes/boxes.  Went to YouTube and found some great videos on how to do it.

France Martin (Frenchie) had a good one that is great for making any size thick envelope you want.   I had watched several other videos which were all good but Frenchie tells how to measure if your card is any size.

For these that were for 3 by 5.5 inch cards,  I cut the paper (in this case some really pretty 110# card stock that I found for 50% off at Joann just last night!) 8.5 by 8.5 inches.  With the envelope punch board I lined up the first edge (I put the paper in white side up to make the score lines more easily visible) with the 2 7/8 inch mark on the punch board, then punched and scored.  Next I slid the paper one inch to the left to the 3 7/8 inch mark and punched and scored again.

Now you just treat the paper like you do any envelope: rotate 90 degrees, line up the first score line then punch and score.  Do this for every score line, two per side.  When this is done, you can corner-round one or all corners with the corner-rounder on the punch board.  I did not happen to do this.

With the paper scored and punched there is the matter of a couple of cuts and a couple of  "corner squares" to be cut out.  These cuts are on the long side of the paper/envelope. You are making little tabs on one side of the envelope which you will glue down.  On the opposite side you will cut out the little squares that were created when you made the score lines.

Using the bone folder, fold along all the score lines. I have now done the folding both before and after making the cuts.  I don't think it matters which you do.

Time to glue.  If you have the red sticky tape that Frenchie recommends, I would use it.  If you don't have any red sticky tape that Frenchie recommends, I suggest getting some!  Using a glue stick did not work.  Using wet glue was kind of a pain.  Well, more than kind of a pain, but it did work. Eventually.

I am positive that I have purchased some of that red sticky tape since arriving here, but I cannot tell you where it is.  It is just possible that it got thrown out with the bag it came in.  At least, that is what I imagine.  Not that I am such a great organizer that I would know where it is, BUT  Dear One did bring me a chest of drawers from the storage garage to use for my crafty/painty/fun stuff storage.  I even labeled the drawers--color, cutting, attaching, other stuff.  It should be easy to find things there.  Especially since I have begun acquiring shoe boxes from the Dollar Tree to put stuff in inside the drawers.  Still...no red sticky tape.  I foresee another trip to Joann or Michaels in the near future.  They welcome me by name.  No.  They really don't but they might as well. I recognize the check out ladies for sure.


Sorry this is so blurry.  PS  The heart must be from the Paint 3D software...I did not put it there.  You can more or less see that these envelopes are thick..almost 1/2 inch thick.  You can see that I have glued down some mini candy bars to the card.  An encouraging note will be written on the card before they are hand-delivered to their recipients.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: