About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, May 21, 2018

Munchie Monday: Waffle Tofu!

The other day a message popped up on my computer about waffle tofu. What?!!!  Well, I looked at it.  It sounded easy and good.  It promised chewy tofu.  With a nice flavor.  How can you go wrong?  Wrong!

This is what I did:

Heated the waffle iron to hot.

Cut a block of tofu into thick slices.

Dragged it through some barbecue sauce.

Put it in the waffle iron for four minutes.

Ate it.

It was NOT chewy.  The waffle iron WAS sticky with stuck-on barbecue sauce.  I was NOT impressed.

Well, to be honest,  when I looked at the recipe again, it said four minutes was the minimum to cook.  I should have cooked it longer.  Maybe it would have been chewy then.

After eating one piece, I put the rest in the refrigerator. I do not like my food projects to fail, so I insist upon eating them either way.  After a few hours, I ate a piece in a sandwich. It was okay, just not stunningly good. 

After cleaning the waffle iron, a big pain, I decided that I need to try this again, but that I will NOT put the barbecue sauce on the tofu first.  After it is cooked to perfection, THEN I will slosh it with barbecue sauce. 

On the topic of barbecue sauce,  I guess in my heart of hearts I did not expect this to be a stellar recipe because when I went to get the barbecue sauce (not a condiment we keep on hand...) I just picked up the 99-cent no-name brand and took it home.  When I actually looked at the ingredients, I discovered the first ingredient was HFCS--you know, that deadly high fructose corn syrup.  What a dope for not looking at the ingredients in the store.  I may have to learn to make my own barbecue so.

SO...the news is not all bad about this recipe. I will make a note when I make it again.  I do think it will work, just not the way the original said.


Looks cute, doesn't it?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: