About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, May 7, 2018

Munchie Monday: Quick and Easy Baked Eggs!

Baked eggs?  Yes, baked eggs. 

Last week we stopped at a Goodwill Outlet.  This is NOT to be confused with a Goodwill Store, where there are racks and racks and shelves and shelves of stuff organized as well as possible.  The Goodwill Outlet we went to was a huge space where there were many many four- by eight-foot rolling bins.  There were women pushing loaded bins here and there shouting at a high level in some language that I could not understand at all.  By their appearance it was maybe Arabic.  I suppose they were telling us to watch out as they were coming through. 

Anyway, these bins were hardly sorted at all, except there were three or four bins that were almost all books.  That is where I went.  Dear One looked for other things.  In one bin I found a cookbook of recipes from the Portland Journal newspaper which cookbook was printed in 1938.  In it was a recipe called "Tillamook Eggs".  I thought that sounded delicious and decided to make them for breakfast.

We have a nifty silicon baking pan that has six square wells in it. I purchased it ages ago (but since we arrived in Oregon) to make some kind of meatless meatloaf for sandwiches. I thought it would be the perfect way to bake these eggs.  For some reason, when I was reading the recipe, I had one idea.  When I re-read the recipe, I discovered that idea was totally wrong.  Oh well. I went with what I was going to do but will share both recipes.

What I did:

Tillamook Eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a six-well silicon pan with vegetable spray and place on cookie sheet.

In a large bowl, break six eggs (trying hard to keep little bits of egg shell out of the bowl . So unpleasant to bite into something hard in an egg dish...!) and whisk until very well mixed.  Add 1/3 cup dried Italian bread crumbs and 1/3 cup shredded Tillamook cheddar cheese.  Stir again until nicely combined.  Use a 1/4 or 1/3 cup portion scoop to portion into the six wells.  Place in the oven and cook about 15 minutes.  Check to see if they are cooked to your liking. I seem to remember we cooked them a couple more minutes. 

Remove cookie sheet from the oven and let sit about 10 minutes.  The eggs will pull away from the edges of the wells and will be very easy to remove from pan.

We ate these on toasted whole wheat bread with catsup.  They were pretty good.

The Real Tillamook Eggs:

Grease six ramekins very well with butter.  Break one egg into each one.  Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste, then sprinkle on one tablespoon of Tillamook cheddar cheese in each ramekin.  Top with 1 tablespoon of dry breadcrumbs and bake for the amount of time you like to get the hardness of yolk that you like.
This is the PACC Tillamook Eggs.  The good news is that for three mornings we know what we are going to eat for breakfast, though I think we will add a Morningstar Farm sausage then next time, and maybe serve on a toasted English muffin. We shall see.  Dear One really likes those sausages. I wish I could figure out the seasonings. I think I will ask my sister if she has our mother's Farm Journal Cookbook where there was a fabulous homemade sausage recipe.  That is what we used to make "at home"...and that has been the go-to sausage flavoring for me.  I have been searching for it in all kinds of places online and off every since.  Country Breakfast Sausage does NOT have fennel in it, but that is what you find online in virtually every sausage seasoning I have found.  Blaaaaah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: