About The Country Wife Blog

Friday, March 13, 2020

Food Friday: Sweet Corn Sauce on Steamed Kale-Delicious. Really!

A couple of days ago I was on a YouTube binge.  I went from watercolor painting to box making to card making to whole food plant based cooking and finally ended up at Jane and Ann Esselstyn's channel.  They are really fun to watch (mother and daughter in daughter's kitchen) and share some unusual and sometimes pretty good recipes.

The recipe they shared today, or which I watched on that particular day, was Sweet Corn Sauce.

This is the recipe as I made it:

Sweet Corn Sauce

16 ounces frozen sweet corn (or you could use 5 ears of fresh sweet corn)
1 medium or larger sweet onion
1 cup vegetable broth

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blend, scraping down the sides as necessary, until it is sauce-like.  Move the sauce into a saucepan and cook until hot, slightly reduced, and the onion does not taste raw anymore.  Actually, I could not taste the onion.  It was very sweet and mild.

For the kale,  wash and dry the kale and strip leaves from the stems.  Tear into smallish pieces and put in a steamer.  Steam for about 8 minutes.  Less time might also work.  This is what I did on this occasion.

Put a serving of kale in a bowl and cover with sweet corn sauce.  You are in heaven.  Seriously.  So simple.  So good.  I gave Dear One a bowl of it and he ate it all!  With no comments!  He did not actually take a second serving, but that would be too much to ask.  Just eating that one bowl put me on cloud nine.


This was my bowl, half eaten!  Truly, this is wonderful.  How can you go wrong with vegetables?  I do recommend this if you are trying to get family members to eat more greens.  Perhaps spread the sauce totally over the kale covering it up...?

Anyway, I really loved this stuff.  I will make it again.  In fact, I have just realized that I really really like cooked kale.  Much better than raw kale.  I hope it is healthier to eat it cooked.  I will have to investigate that, though experience shows me that all the smart people have different ideas.  I like it cooked.  I will eat it cooked....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: