About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, August 19, 2019

Munchie Monday: Easy Instant Pot Black Beans

Everybody has a black bean recipe. I think even I have posted one before.  Today I made black beans in our 3-quart Instant Pot and want to record what I did so I can duplicate the results.  They were really good.  (One big problem with my cooking is that often I don't have a real recipe and cannot make the same thing to come out delicious again.  This gets on Dear One's nerves because on those occasions when he really likes something, he would like to have it again.)

Easy Black Beans

Wash 1 cup dried black beans and put them in the Instant Pot liner bowl.

Add 3 cups water, 1 finely chopped medium sized sweet onion, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, and 1 teaspoon granulated garlic.

Put on lid and cook on HIGH pressure for 35 minutes.  Let pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release.

Use a slotted spoon to remove the beans from the pot.  (This is what I did because I wanted to use the broth for something else.)

Next time I will only use 2 cups of water, but as I said, I wanted the broth.  Also, I think I will only cook them for 25 minutes.

For supper I gave Dear One a small bowl of black beans and a salt shaker.  For myself, I took a large bowl and put in quite a bit of the kale, broccoli, celery, and onion salad I am back to keeping in the refrigerator so I can have it two meals or more a day.  I put probably 1/2 cup of the beans, hot, on the salad along with a chopped tomato.  Since I had made some #LifeIsNOYOKE cashew queso this afternoon, I put on a little more than a tablespoon of that on top, stirred it all up, then spent a good long time chewing it all up.  So good. I had salt on it, too. I don't like to put salt in beans when I am cooking them, superstitiously thinking that they will not soften if there is salt there.  After the fact, though,  salt is good. I have not kicked that habit yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: