About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, October 23, 2019

More House Tour

When we were looking at houses the first house we actually went into was a beautiful house whose occupants were away for a while.  The house was JAMMED FULL of beautiful things.  It was actually impossible to see the walls.  In the kitchen was a fabulous cast iron baker's rack with many small appliances on it.  There was no other place in that huge kitchen for these appliances to live.  The counters were completely full. I do not know how the lady of the house actually did any cooking as there were virtually no empty spaces on which to work.  They even had one of those large carnival popcorn popping machines taking up much of one counter!

When we chose our house I immediately began looking for baker's racks.  In order to have room to operate in the kitchen the small appliances needed to be put away.  One of the glitches that resulted from our son building our beautiful kitchen cabinets in Vermont is that I became accustomed to nice large cupboards where I could stack cans of say, diced tomatoes, on top of cans of perhaps black beans.  In our cupboards here the shelves are too short for two cans to be stacked unless it is a can of tomato paste on top of a can of beans.  We also do not have a big walk in pantry here...just a quite-small closet with shelves but it works pretty well.  Some kitchen things live in the garage on the rolling racks out there which we brought from our cellar.  Whoever thought of bringing those was brilliant.  It was not me. I would have purchased some new ones here.  Except that "someone" did not think that was a good idea, plus they don't make them like they used to!

Anyway, we finally found an acceptable baker's rack and waited a good long time for it to be delivered.  After it was delivered, I filled it right up!  When I need an appliance I carry it into the kitchen and put it on whatever counter I want to operate from.  There are lots of electrical outlets so I have freedom of choice.


The dehydrator on the bottom shelf is nearly invisible due to poor photography.  The air fryer lives permanently on the baker's rack because it is used every day for our potatoes.  The other appliances get carried into the kitchen.  When I get old and decrepit I will need to get a rolling cart to put them on to get them into the kitchen.  Some of these appliances are a bit heavy.

Looking at the picture as I am writing this post I realize it would have been a great idea to tidy things up, but...well, I get excited about things and just go with them whether they put me in a good light or not!  Those who know me, already know....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: