About The Country Wife Blog

Thursday, October 3, 2019

Snake!!!

This morning I girded up my loins and went out for a walk. I told Dear One I was hoping it would be a long one since it was only 69 degrees F and I thought I could handle it.  I moved the car out of the garage, put the key to the car in my pocket, got my stroller with seat out of the garage, rolled down the garage door, and headed out.  It was about 8:30.

My plan was to walk out to the highway on Masters Drive then go out to the highway again via Talisker Drive, veer all the way past the SAFE Credit Union to Lewis Road then come back into the complex and walk each one of the streets until I got back home...hoping that I would have done a 5K's worth of walking to get me ready to do it again by the end of the month in honor of raising money for #TeamLeahBean and the fight for Rett Syndrome cure.

Not to bore you, but I did get around to most of the streets, twice being able to see our house from afar but not really having the option of completing the walk that way because of the heavy equipment working at the ends of both those roads getting ground ready for many more houses.  This property used to be a large golf course but now is a maze of houses, most of which are nice enough.

I had just gotten to the end of Nicholaus Street and was beginning to wear down, well, honestly, I had been done half an hour before but decided to keep walking.  The alternative was to bag it and call Dear One to come rescue me. I did not want to do that.

Anyway, at almost the very end of Nicholaus, there in the road was a very unpleasant sight:  a small (fortunately!) probably dead snake.  I was not sure if it was alive or dead but it was not very chipper.  I got past it and went around the other side of it then stopped to take picture. I wanted to know if it was a poisonous snake living very near us.  I hoped it was not a coral snake.  When I got home I took a moment to Google snakes in South Carolina.


My guess is that it was a scarlet king snake.  I did not look at the snakes page on Google long enough to see if it was poisonous because it REALLY creeped me out to see so many snake pictures.  Anyway,  I did walk a little faster for a bit, though how I managed that I don't know. I was just about dead myself! 

When I got back to the other end of Nicholaus and went one more street I found that I was in familiar territory again. I had passed the 3-mile mark (on MapMyWalk app who reports how far and how long which is what kept me moving forward) so when I saw Trevino Drive ahead I would like to say that I flew.  I didn't.  I could barely move.  I did keep at it, though.  The end was definitely in sight.

When I got back home I opened the car door so I could use the car remote to open the garage door, closed the car door and locked it, then went into the garage to park the stroller who really earned its pay this morning.  And was finally home.  In time to make breakfast before going off to have a mammo.  Fun stuff.

You may wonder why we keep the garage door closed, well, at the Emergency Preparedness Fair Dear One went to listen to the Sumter County Sheriff's Department representative who told us we need to keep all our doors shut and locked.  We had already been locking everything else, have done for years, but now the garage is always closed, too.

With good fortune there will be no more snakes...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: