About The Country Wife Blog

Thursday, October 31, 2019

#TeamLeahBean 2019 5K...Completed.

Every September I look forward to a Facebook invitation to participate in the #TeamLeahBean 5K Run for Rett Syndrome.  I usually just barely make it to sign up for the "event" and buy the tee shirt before the deadline closes...but I think I have done it every year.  I might have missed the first one.

Well, October ends today.  This year I decided to try early in the month to see what I was up against here in the hot humidity.  That first time just about killed me.  My feet took several days to recover.  The actual mileage that day was 3.4 miles since I did not know mileage here in the complex.

To do the "real" walk (I never run.  Besides actually killing me, it would be so scary for the people who saw me try to run...!) I knew I had to do a little training.  Many days this month I have gone out and have walked from half a mile up to a little over 2 miles.  (Dear One has a 4.5 bike ride he does every day.)  I started keeping track of the mileage for the various routes I would walk so I would be sure to walk enough on the given day.

Today I did my real 5K walk...3.2 miles.  It has been over an hour since I got back and I feel really good.  Also virtuous!  I am so grateful to make this tiny sacrifice to help find a cure for this syndrome.  Leah is an amazing girl.  It would be wonderful if science could find a solution. 


This is me, moments after completing the walk.  You can tell that I was pretty hot and tired.  You will be surprised to know that the shirt fits much better this year...not so much the sausage look as in years past. I will hope for even better next year.  Or even a smaller shirt!

1 comment:

Please feel free to comment here: