About The Country Wife Blog

Thursday, October 24, 2019

Successful (Inside) Garden

Not too long ago I was watching a free video (all of them are free, actually) on Nutritionfacts.org.  In this video Dr. Greger was talking about broccoli.  He shared the science about how valuable broccoli is to our health.  He went on to show that though broccoli is important, broccoli sprouts are many many times more protective.

I am somewhat a sucker for the science. The possibility that something that is pretty easy to do and not terribly costly and is very health-promoting makes me want to take steps to enjoy that produce.

So, I found online the sprouting screens for wide-mouth canning jars.  We ordered a pound of organic broccoli seeds.  We started growing broccoli sprouts.  We are now using them in salads every day.  I think Dr. Greger just eats straight broccoli sprouts as his salad but we mix them into a green salad.  Probably with vinegar of some nature on them...!


This is what our indoor garden looks like today.

What we do:

 I "plant" 1 1/2 Tablespoons broccoli seeds in a wide-mouth quart canning jar every Thursday night and every Sunday night.  I add a couple of inches of water to the jars at night so the seeds will soak well then next morning I let the water all drain out of the jar through the screen in the cover.  I set the jars up so they can keep draining.  I rinse the seeds twice a day.

 The jar on the left has been harvested twice...i.e. I have pulled out sprouts for two different salads.

Tastes fine.  The possibility that this will help our arthritic joints and other chronic problems brought on by inflammation makes it an easy gardening project to do.  Also the most successful!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: