About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, July 30, 2018

Munchie Monday: Great Steel Cut Oats in the Instant Pot

Having a quick and easy breakfast is important to me.  Eating oatmeal every day is supposed to be great at lowering cholesterol.   Somewhere I saw a comment on someone's blog that in three months her cholesterol went from awful to normal in three months with eating oatmeal every day.  Of course, she did not say what else she was doing, but hey,  oatmeal is easy so why not give it a try.  My next doctor appointment is in three months and it will include fasting blood work, so why not?!

Today I pulled the Instant Pot inner liner out of the Instant Pot and put it on the counter.  This helps keep ingredients for getting places I don't want them!

In the bottom of the pot I put 1 cup of steel cut oats, 3 cups of water, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds,  and 1 teaspoon cinnamon then stirred them well.  Next I sprinkled on top 1/4 cup raisins, almost 1/4 cup dried cranberries, and one large apple grated.  I did NOT stir them in at this point. I just installed the cover, selected HIGH pressure and 8 minutes then went about my business.

When I got back to the pot the oats had been on the warming cycle for 15 minutes.  I took off the cover,  stirred them up, put 1/2 cup into each of two bowls and sprinkled on some chopped pecans...maybe 2 Tablespoons on each bowl.

We ate them with pleasure.  This was at around 8:30.  After the very green smoothie and the oatmeal we did not eat ago until 4:30.  Around 2:30 my stomach began to growl but I was not unpleasantly hungry.  That was very nice.

There was nearly one quart of oats left in the pot which is now waiting for tomorrow. And the rest of the week.  Pretty good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: